Founded in 1961, the family-owned Seacoast Volkswagen has since grown to become New England’s largest VW dealership, offering 13 different models both new and used at their impressive Greenland facility.
Since moving from Portsmouth down Route 33 seven years ago, Seacoast Volkswagen has instituted a number of impressive green initiatives, in the process helping stake their claim as one of the greenest car dealerships in the country. After initial plans to erect a full-scale windmill were rejected by the town due to height issues (no structure can be over 35 feet tall), in 2009 the dealerships succeeded in getting approval for a Helix Wind Turbine, courtesy of fellow Green Alliance Business Partner Waterline Alternative Energies. Known as a Helix Wind turbine, the ground-mounted system offers passers-by an aesthetic and eye-catching glimpse of a business committed to reducing its carbon footprint. And, at just a shade under 35 feet tall, the turbine meets municipal requirements for structure height.
Seacoast Volkswagen is currently in the process of installing a 19.2 kilowatt solar PV array – also purchased from Waterline – to their expansive roof. If all goes according to plan, the new array is expected to generate 30 percent of the dealership’s electricity on sunny days. Additionally, all 60 parking lot lamps are currently being retrofitted to feature high efficiency LED lighting, in the process cutting down their electricity usage by 75%. Inside the building, a comprehensive recycling program – which includes using the garage’s waste oil to heat the premises and recycling all light bulbs – has helped reduce even further Seacoast Volkswagen’s carbon footprint. They’ve even taken the green road to more efficient automobiles, being the only dealer in New England to offer the hybrid Touareg.
What makes us green?
- Have installed 35 foot Helix wind turbine
- In the process of exploring a 19.2 kilowatt solar PV system for the showroom roof
- Recycle waste oil to use in heating building
- Recycle all paper, plastic, and metals on the premises
- Replacing 60 parking lot lights with high efficiency LEDs
- Offer hybrid Touareg
In the News
- Volkswagen’s National Drive Towards Green Mirrored at Greenland Dealership
- Seacoast Volkswagen's green efforts go beyond efficient vehicles
- Seacoast Volkswagen To Tout Green Push With GA Party, Passat Rollout
- Seacoast Volkswagen to Tout Green Push
- Seacoast Volkswagen party touts push with Green Alliance, new Passat rollout
- Local Volkswagen Dealer Champions High-Powered Hybrid
- Growing market: Green Alliance membership expanding steadily
- Green Alliance hosts celebration
- Energy-efficiency investments paying off
- Car dealership's green efforts go beyond efficient vehicles