Built around 1840, the downtown Newmarket building that now houses The Riverworks Restaurant has seen a lot. It's been a millinery and a grocery store, a hardware shop and a shoe store, a telephone company and, finally, a restaurant. Since opening its doors 31 years ago, The Riverworks has become one of downtown Newmarket's most iconic institutions -- a popular meeting spot for students and local residents alike.
When Jennifer Jarvis purchased the red brick 164 Main Street building in 2002, she knew she wanted to keep with the tavern's cozy ambiance and historical, local charm -- all the while giving the food and service something of a makeover. The result is an expansive menu -- they have everything from salads to lobster macaroni and cheese to Asian fare -- with options for just about every palate. In addition, The Riverworks also offers full-on catering services and every item, from the sauces to the main courses, are made in-house.
In recent years, the restaurant has taken on a number of sustainability-minded initiatives, including: a comprehensive composting program; an equally thorough recycling program; recycling spent cooking oil for use in biodiesel vehicles; and installing motion sensor lighting and programmable thermostats. Additionally, The Riverworks are members of Seacoast Local, an organization dedicated to helping bolster the Seacoast economy by connecting small businesses and consumers...Read Full Green Story »
What makes us green?
- Comprehensive composting and recycling programs
- Recycle all waste oil, which is turned into biodiesel for vehicles
- Installed motion sensors throughout the restaurant
- Programmable thermostats to help heat and cool the building more efficiently
- Members of Seacoast Local
- 100% recycled paper products
- Have switched to compostable straws and to-go containers
In the News
- Turning Seacoast trash into treasure
- Riverworks Restaurant harkens to past and future alike
- Riverworks Charm, Values Harken to Past and Future Alike
- Local Loyalty: When Put To The Test, A Company Takes A Stand
- Holiday Party Time
- Fresh, not frozen: The Riverworks Tavern and Restaurant
- Fresh, not frozen: The Riverworks Restaurant & Tavern
- Fresh at always at Riverworks Restaurant & Tavern