A New-England staple since 1996, Redhook Brewery has for over a decade helped define the rise of the American microbrew. But while the Portsmouth-based craft brewery – one of three Craft Brewers Alliance facilities, the others being located in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon – might be known for their famous line of bold and flavorful brews, their growing list of green initiatives and policies are going a long way in setting Redhook even further apart from the competition.
“We’ve always kept an eye on green practices,” says Amanda Telford, Human Resources Director at Redhook. This ever-greening portfolio of practices includes: reusing water heated during the beer’s fermentation in other brewing processes; giving leftover trube, yeast, and spent grains to a Massachusetts cow farm, to be used in feed; and using leftover coffee grounds from one of their Kona brand varieties to help fertilize a community garden located on the premises. The brewery has also instituted a facility-wide recycling program, uses corn-based, compostable plastic cups in the house restaurant, and emphasizes the use of even the most basic food scraps for stock and other products in their near totally scratch kitchen.
The brewery also houses an on-site wastewater treatment facility, and is exploring ways to trap the leftover methane and convert it to energy for use on the property. They have also consulted PSNH regularly when undertaking any energy-related project, be it the installation of a new fermentation tank, replacing all of their light bulbs with high-efficient CFLs and LEDs, or installing motion sensors in bathrooms and storage rooms. Although still a ways down the road, the company has also explored the possibility of installing a full-on co-generation system to help with energy production.
Along with the Kona and Widmer brands, Redhook is one of three beer lines housed in the Craft Brewers alliance. All three are distributed by the Seacoast Redhook facility.
Check out Redhook Brewery on Facebook!
Read Full Green Story »
What makes us green?
- Installed CFL lighting throughout the facility
- Uses water treatment and filtration system which cuts down not only on water used, but electricity as well
- Partnered with EcoMovement Consulting and Hauling on comprehensive composting program
- Diverts spent grains from brewing process to regional dairy farms
- Expanding their inventory of EnergyStar appliances
In the News
- Craft Brew Alliance Proves Sustainability Pays Off
- Seacoast Salutes Festival at Redhook to Honor Military
- Local Businesses Team Up to Reduce E-Waste
- Red Hook Brewery to produce own electricity
- Redhook's Craft Brew Alliance Proves Sustainability Pays Off
- Volunteers take part in Earth Day cleanup at Pease
- Turning Seacoast trash into treasure
- Students dig trash to learn about recycling, composting
- Redhook’s Community Give Back Enormous Success
- Redhook/Green Alliance Party for the Planet; Earth Day Cleanup and Celebration with Special Guest Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry’s
- Redhook, museum team up
- Redhook's Food Turning Heads Naturally
- Redhook's 'spent grains' become farm feed
- Redhook completes 'Recycling Trifecta'
- Redhook Brews ‘Revolutionary’ Beer
- Redhook Brewery: A Company Dedicated to Environmental Stewardship, Social Responsibility, and Employee Wellness and Health
- Redhook Brewery Program Helps Charities to Help Others
- Red Hook to Celebrate 30th Birthday Saturday
- Red Hook hosting electronics recycling event
- Polar Grill Fest to Benefit 3S Artspace
- Meet a Green Alliance Business
- Local Brewery Offers Unique Venue and One-of-a-kind Events
- It's Earth Day and Portsmouth Offers A Party For The Planet
- If You Build An EV Station, They Will Come
- If You Build an EV Charging Station, They Will Come
- Hooked on Recycling
- Hit the (Eco-Friendly) Decks
- Green Star Rising at Redhook Brewery
- Green Collar Careers: Tietjen Hynes, Water Quality Engineer at Redhook Brewery
- Green Alliance to host Earth Day party
- Green Alliance to host Earth Day party
- Green Alliance plans member bash April 10
- Green Alliance Grows Businesses, Builds Community, Throws Parties
- Green Alliance celebrated by members
- Gift-Giving ROI: It Pays to Think Outside the (Holiday) Box by Shopping Local and Green This Holiday Season.
- Gift-Giving ROI: It Pays to Think Outside the (Holiday) Box by Shopping Local and Green
- Eco-Conscious Business Partners Waste Not, Want Not
- Craft Brew Alliance Releases 2014 Sustainability Highlights
- Brewery to Unveil Charging Station
- Behind the Scenes at Redhook Brewery
- At 30, Portsmouth's Redhook brewery is adding surprises, simpler names, more of original beer bottle packaging
- 'Recycling Trifecta' Makes Environment a Winner