Jewett Farms & Co.
Jewett Farms represents a quintessentially Yankee philosophy: making the most out of what you have, and making it beautiful despite what you don’t. For the folks at the Newburyport-based Jewett (they also boast a second show room up the coast in York, Maine), everything is about maximizing resources; and particularly local resources.
Jewett Farms & Co was founded in 1999 in York, Maine by Mike Myers and Matt Lord with the vision of creating a design, furniture, and cabinet making firm celebrating the traditional woodworking art and craft of New England. Today, they are proud to design and build some of the finest cabinetry and furniture pieces in the Northeast.
Jewett Farms is as green a cabinet-making business as you'll find anywhere, a quality reflected in their construction, finishing, and recycling practices. Their wood sources are, almost without exception, local and sustainably harvested. They design and build with reclaimed and antique woods as well as with old growth woods. Their finishing arm of the operation utilizes only water-based finishes (paints, stains, glazes, etc). Their cut-offs to make other items such as cutting boards, pullouts, and household accessories, to name just a few. Their sheet stock material is PureBond and formaldehyde free. Sawdust generated from machining is provided to local horse farms for animal bedding, and the office utilizes simple methods to decrease waste, such as email invoicing, electronic faxing and an aggressive recycling program in the office, studio, and workshop.
Read Full Green Story »
What makes us green?
- Receives their wood from local, sustainably harvested sources in New England
- A number of projects utilize "reclaimed" and antique woods -- that is, they use recycled materials
- Finishing products -- stains, etc. -- are all water-based and non-toxic or hazardous
- Uses waste cutoffs from bigger projects to make door stops, cutting boards, pullouts, etc.
- All scraps not used are given to employees and community members for heating wood
- Sheet stock material is PureBond and formaldehyde free
- Sawdust generated from machining is provided to local horse farms for animal bedding
- Business mailing system is almost entirely paper-less
In the News
- Jewett Farms + Co.’s Newburyport showroom a beacon to past
- York, Maine, cabinet makers bring old-fashioned quality to bear
- Success is passion, hard work
- Portsmouth home a Green Alliance stronghold
- Jewett Farms partners with Ohio firm to supply reclaimed wood flooring
- Jewett Farms + Co. Launches New Website with Open House
- Jewett Defies Recession, Triples Size of Space With Move to Dover
- How a kitchen can help save the Earth
- Green Tips from Jewett Farms & Co.
- Green Idea: Reclaimed Flooring
- For Newburyport and York cabinetmaker, crafting an enduring product is as green as it gets
- For Jewett Farms & Co, Patience Pays Off
- Dockside party in Portsmouth to benefit NH Coast