Amanda Grappone Osmer isn't your typical fourth-generation owner of an auto dealership. If anything she's hell-bent on breaking the mold in an industry that is typically slow moving and entrenched in archaic ideals.
From gender and cultural diversity on their sales floor to heavy capital investments in their LEED-certified facility, Grappone is a symbol of the progressive 21st century mindset that embraces the triple-bottome line.
What makes us green?
Grappone Toyota Green Attributes:
- Geothermal Field: Thirty Two (32), 400 foot deep, closed loop Geothermal Wells were installed to provide constant temperature liquid to the 36 water source heat pumps found throughout the building.
- Renovation Without Expansion: By renovating the entire existing facility, over 60% of the existing building was saved thereby reducing the need for new building materials like steel and concrete. No additional paved parking areas were created so as not to increase surface run off into the bordering Turkey River.
- Electric Car Charging Station: Electric car charging stations were installed to further encourage the use of green technology. Car Pool Parking: 14 preferred carpool parking spots were designated to encourage ride sharing amongst employees and customers alike.
- Bike Racks: Bicycle racks and shower facilities for all employees to use have been provided to encourage wellness and alternative transportation.
- Recycled Landscaping: Recycled Tires are used in the planting beds surrounding the building
- Facilities Management Control Systems: Programmable, monitoring system.
- CO / CO2 Sensors:Occupancy sensors allow for fresh air as needed to maintain optimum levels.
- Recycled Content: Concrete, Steel, Building Insulation, Carpet, lcestone Countertops,Ceramic Tile, Acoustic Ceiling Tile, Gypsum Wall Board, Doors, even the locksets and hinges contribute to the Recycled Content
- Recycling Centers: Dedicated built-in recycling cabinets for separating paper, plastic, metal and glass are located throughout the facility.
- Daylight & Views: The storefront glass of the new 2 story showroom provides daylight and views of the Merrimack River deep into facility. Existing windows were enlarged and all overhead doors have full view glass. More than 90% of the regularly occupied spaces within the building have a direct view to the outside.
- Green Education Wall: A 30' long Education Wall, with an interactive screen highlighting the buildings energy usage, is on permanent display for all guests to read and learn.
- Green Housekeeping: All cleaning materials and products used in the facility meet a stringent set of
- environmental standards.
- Lighting and Controls: Occupancy sensors, daylight sensors, and a programmable control center with daily and seasonal settings, all contribute to reduced heat load and energy usage from our lighting systems.
- Pneumatic Door Openers: The overhead doors are operated using compressed air, already in place for service tools, instead of electricity.
- Solatubes: Daylight harvesting tubes were installed in the shop roof to bring more natural light into the space, reducing the amount of artificial light needed.
- FSC Certified Wood: Exemplary LEED points were achieved by insuring that 100% of the wood used in the renovation came from responsibly managed forests and sustainable sources.
- Water Efficiency: Dual flush toilets and automatic faucets reduce facility water usage by over 30%
- Low/ No V.O.C.'s: All paints, sealants, coatings and adhesives were specified not to contain the Volatile Organic Compounds that contribute to harmful odors and ozone depletion.
- No Smoking: In order to promote clean air and healthy lungs Grappone Toyota is a designated No Smoking facility.