As a fifth generation mason, Les Veilleux always had a feeling he’d come back full circle. After years working for various technology companies (including Oracle, Netscape, and Microsoft) and as a travel photographer, Veilleux decided it was time to try his hand at showcasing his family’s legacy, all while giving it a 21st century green twist.
Veilleux launched Eco Firebox in 2010, with the goal of providing a more affordable, sustainable, and efficient heating system for the New England homeowner. Knowing he didn’t want to just build average, run-of-the-mill fireplaces, Vellieux instead developed a technology as green as it was attractive and functional. Building on technologies popular in Europe for over two centuries (Mark Twain even wrote about it in the late 1800s while traveling the continent, in the process lamenting his own country’s stubborn refusal to adopt them), Eco Firebox’s “masonry heater” uses only a fraction of the wood used in standard woodstoves, producing a clean, radiant heat that provides even temperatures for 12-24 hours after the fire has died out....
Read Full Green Story »
What makes us green?
- Primary or secondary heat source that is clean and virtually smokeless
- Systems up to 98% combustion efficient, meaning less waste and fewer noxious chemicals
- Heat can radiate 12-24 hours after the wood has been burned
- Requires far less wood than standard woodstoves
Read Full Evaluation »
In the News
- The Heat is On
- Green Tips: EcoFirebox
- GA welcomes community members and businesses to renewable energy forum
- GA businesses hope overtures on climate change don’t amount to lip service
- The Heat is (Always) On: Inside the latest green heating craze
- The Eco Firebox is something old, something new, and something beautiful
- Inside the latest green heating craze: Eco Firebox turns fireplaces into super-efficient heaters