Blog : Go Pink with the Green Alliance Team and Race for the Cure

By Corey | Mar 26, 2015 | in

Our Green Alliance team is lacing up their sneakers and participating in the 4th Annual Komen NH Race for the Cure. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure series is the world's largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer ever created. The event raises significant funds and awareness for the breast cancer movement, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. With one in eight women in the U.S. being diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, this cause strikes a chord with individuals, family members, co-workers, and friends alike. 100% of the net proceeds are allocated to the Komen mission, with 75% of that income staying in the community to help fund local programs offering breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25% of the net income supports the Susan G. Komen Grants Program. 

Founded in 1982 in Dallas, T.X., the Susan G. Komen organization has established life-changing events all throughout the country. Since its inception, this non-profit has spent nearly $2.6 million for breast cancer education, research, advocacy, health services and social support programs in the U.S. At this upcoming race in Portsmouth, N.H., all donations will be used at the Vermont and New Hampshire Komen programs. A local hospital who received funding from Komen VT-NH in 2014 was Memorial Hospital who offers the breast health navigator program which helps patients understand treatment options and choices between oncologists, as well as find funds and any support services they need to get treatment. 

Participants of the race can run, jog, or walk their way toward helping those affected by breast cancer. Other ways to get involved is through donating to an individual or team, sponsoring, or volunteering. Currently, Komen has more than 100,000 volunteers working in a network of 117 affiliates worldwide. Be a part of this network by either volunteering beforehand assisting with pre-race planning, organization and marketing, or being there at race day and making sure participants receive the best experience possible. 

The race will be held on Saturday, May 9, 9:00 AM at Strawbery Banke Museum in Portsmouth, NH. For additional Race Day information including a schedule and map, click here

The Green Alliance is also a proud sponsor of this event. Any Green Alliance members who want to participate with our team will receive a free t-shirt and join in on all the fun for a great cause. To join our team, click here and register by searching "Green Alliance" under team names. Once you've registered, contact Sarah at sarah@greenalliance.biz to let her know you've signed up and include your t-shirt size so you can receive and wear your Green Alliance shirt on race day. We will also be donating a Green Families membership and t-shirt, a gift card to Green Maids, and much more.

Not a member of the Green Alliance? To join, click here!