Blog : Fourth Annual Komen Race for a Cure

By Sarah Mahoney | Mar 9, 2015 | in

In 2015, it is estimated that among women in the U.S., there will be 231,840 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 40,290 breast cancer deaths. Tumors in the breast tend to grow slowly and by the time it is big enough to feel, it could have been there for 10 years or more. By now, almost everyone is aware of cancer and how much it effects friendships, families, and people's lives in general. Great efforts are being made all around the world to find a cure for this terrible disease, as well as support patients and their families.

On May 9th, the fourth annual Komen Race for a Cure will be held at the Strawberry Banke Museum, 14 Hancock Street in Portsmouth, NH. On Friday, May 8th from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. there is bib pick up and on-site registration, as well as from 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on race day. The race will begin at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. 

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series is currently the world's largest and most successful fundraising event for breast cancer. This event raises substantial funds as well as awareness for the breast cancer movement. It also celebrates breast cancer survivors and honors those who have lost the battle with this terrible disease. Race participants have the opportunity to register individually or as a team. This race is unique when it comes to proceeds and donations - 100% of the net proceeds are allocated to their mission. 75% of the net income stays in the community to help fund local programs, while the remaining 25% of the net income supports the Susan G. Komen Grants Program.

There will be prizes awarded to the first three male and female runners and walkers and the first three breast cancer survivor runners and walkers. The award ceremony will begin at 10:00 a.m. following the race. A silent auction will also be held from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on race day. There will be a preview of the exciting and valuable auction items prior to the race on the race page.

Green Alliance is a proud sponsor of this event. We will be donating a Green Families membership and tee shirt, a gift card to Green Maids, and more. Not a member of the Green Alliance? To join, click here!

To register for the race, click here.

To donate to this great organization, click here.