Blog : Komen Race for the Cure is Tomorrow!

By Mary | May 9, 2014 | in

PORTSMOUTH — Tomorrow is race day at the Strawberry Banke Museum. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure starts at 8:30 a.m. Online registration is now closed, but those who want to partake can pick up registration packets on the field at Strawberry Banke Museum from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 9. Registration will open at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 10. All participants registering on race day will be charged an additional $5.00.

Breast cancer affects one out of eight women. Every year, millions of women and their families suffer because of this disease. To help raise awareness for breast cancer, the Vermont-New Hampshire affiliate of the Susan G. Komen organization is hosting their annual 5K race on May 10. Participants can decide to walk or run the 3.1 mile long stretch starting at the Strawberry Banke Muesum in Portsmouth. If you don't feel like running or walking, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities available and there is an amazing Silent Auction for you to shop at!

The Komen survival tent, kids tent, and sponsorship tent will open at 7:30 a.m. to give participants that chance to rest and fuel up before the race. The coed run/walk will begin at 8:30 a.m. and end around 10:30 a.m. Children under the age of 12 can take part in the “Fun Run” which will take place simultaneously. A 50-yard-dash starts at 9:45 a.m. for those kids who prefer sprinting over jogging. The hospitality tent will distribute free Panera Bread bagels to participating runners and walkers who want a quick and delicious breakfast. 

The Green Alliance is also racing to find a cure! All Green Alliance members who choose run or walk with the Green Alliance team will receive a free t-shirt and a complimentary one-year Green Alliance membership to give to a friend. Email mary@greenalliance.biz to join the Green Alliance team.

Approximately 75 percent of profits from the race will fund breast cancer treatment, screening, and education programs in Vermont and New Hampshire. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds will benefit nationwide research projects conducted through the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grant Program.

You can help raise money to support the women in your life who are fighting or will fight breast cancer down the road by signing up for the 2014 Komen Race. If you cannot make the race, donations are welcomed and appreciated. The Komen NH race is a great way to show compassion for the pink ribbon cause and bond with co-workers, family, and friends. To donate to the breast cancer foundation, please click here

Join the Green Alliance to get discounts at all of your favorite eco-friendly service centers and stores!